Sunday, January 8, 2012

Loud Pipes Save Lives Myth, STFU

loud pipes save lives Loud Pipes Save Lives: Myth or Truth

In motorcycling, the topic "loud pipes save lives" never seems to die. Chances are you've seen the biker stickers and patches with this phrase. But is it myth or truth? The phrase is related to two extremes of an argument. Some argue that loud motorcycle pipes prevent accidents and so save lives; others argue that the loud noise is merely a nuisance.

Many cities and communities in the United States have banned motorcycles because of residents complaining about the noise from motorcycles. And before I became immersed in motorcycle culture, I would have probably supported a city ordinance banning motorcycles if the noise bothered me.

But on todays' crowded highways, at a time when more and more things are competing for your attention as a driver, it's easier to notice a loud motorcycle. It's even almost impossible to miss a very loud one, whether its in your blind spot, in front or behind you. I can't think of another method that increases visibility of motorcyclists, without them being visible per se.

So, loud pipes make motorcyclists more visible to others on the road, and this increases safety. Now how much this contributes to saving lives is difficult to measure, but you might say that increased safety reduces the chances of serious accidents. There's your answer: "loud pipes save lives" is truth.


A question then comes to mind:


Does this mean that the rest of humanity has to cope with the noise?



Hey! Harley guy. It's me. Your neighbor. The one with the bike that rides every day. The bike you don't hear when I leave for work in the morning because I have quiet, stock exhaust. I am trying to put my baby down for a nap this afternoon, again. You work nights, so I respect you and keep it down when I know you sleep. Please think of someone else for a change and return the courtesy. 

I'm a motorcyclist. I ride every day. Every. Single. Day. I love it, but I don't find it fun or necessary to disrupt the lives of an entire neighborhood every time I go riding. I give others the respect that you give to no one. 

I hope someday the weekend warriors with the shiny bikes will get it, but given that you already ride without a helmet, I rather doubt it. Loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off your neighbors. Really. STFU. 

No comments: