Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Baptising the Adventure Rider

I yearn for the day I have the time to get out away from civilization, even if only on the piste. A friend of mine has this bike and has put it through its paces. I'll stick with my street-biased V-Strom for now...


So, I've always wanted a BMW F650 GS Dakar because they always seemed nice and the perfect size for someone just starting out.. also, never really thought i'd find one in my price range. A week or two before Chistmas that all changed, and fast it did. Shoot, i don't even have my street license yet! (no extra time!)

I stumbled upon a freshly listed 2002 with 17,000 miles on it on CL one morning that had been posted late the night before. Fresh tires, Remus exhaust, soft panniers, trunk box and a Wolfman tank bag. Well treated and garage heated. Came with tubes, heated grip parts, some misc stuff/old exhaust and all the paperwork/books.

After all was said and done the bike ended up coming home.



The prepping, baselining and studying for my permit began. The modifications, farkles and rear tire purchasing ensued. I also took the Remus exhaust off and opted for the stock original exhaust. The bike was ready to hit the dirt and so was i.



Taking my time and riding my own pace, i made it to the end of the canyon. Under that helmet housed a huge grin. I was having a blast.


After this point we headed down a section of trail that was harder than i anticipated. It was muddy, rocky, slippery and rutted. I kept telling myself it was just like riding a mtn bike. I had a few close calls, but made it through unscathed. Here's a video clip of the ride from the GoPro.



[...]

Original Page: http://www.adventureduo.com/2012/01/baptising-adventure-rider.html

No comments: